History of the Central California Blood Center
During World War II, a tremendous amount of blood was drawn and transported to combat zones for the treatment of war injuries with the encouraging result that the mortality among our military casualties was lowered considerably. Doctors who came home to the Central Valley after their war service started using blood in treating their patients, but many local hospitals could not obtain enough blood to fulfill the need.
From 1946 to 1947, a committee from the Fresno County Medical Society was formed in response to this need. The Valley Blood Bank opened at 366 N. Van Ness Avenue in 1949. This proved satisfactory until April 1953, when the California Medical Association’s Blood Bank Commission chairman urged the Fresno County Medical Society to establish a community shared, not for profit blood bank.
Two years later, on June 8, 1954, the Central California Blood Bank (CCBB) opened in a remodeled home at 2155 Amador Street. The technical staff included two registered nurses, two laboratory technicians and a recording secretary. Eventually, CCBB became a big business and ran short of space. The Blood Bank moved to new facilities at 3425 N. First Street in 1971. Then, in 1983, a newer facility was built behind that location and the Blood Bank expanded into the South Valley with the opening of the Visalia Donor Center on Mooney Boulevard. Then, donor centers in Porterville and North Fresno followed. In 1995 the name was changed to the Central California Blood Center (CCBC). The Blood Center expanded once again with a new corporate site. The Jenny Eller Donor Center, which is located at Blythe and Herndon in Fresno, opened in the Fall of 2009. Most recently, the Jenny Eller Donor Center expanded with an additional “bus barn” to house our bloodmobiles.
North Van Ness Location Opened in 1949
Amador Location Opened in 1955
Jenny Eller Donor Center Opened in 2009
Interior of Jenny Eller Donor Center, 2018