Post Donation Instructions
Because you are very special to us, please follow these simple post donation instructions:
If at any time you become faint or dizzy, either lie down or sit down with your head between your knees. If any symptoms persist, please call the Central California Blood Center at (559) 389-5433 (Fresno), (559) 302-1300 (Visalia), or call your physician as necessary.
Immediately after donating:
- Relax for 10 - 15 minutes in the donor canteen area.
- Have something to drink and eat before leaving.
- Refrain from smoking for at least 30 minutes.
Next 2 hours:
- Bandage may be removed after 2 hours. If there is bleeding from the phlebotomy site, raise arm and apply pressure for 5-10 minutes.
- Reapply bandage
Next 24 hours:
- Drink more fluids than usual and eat well.
- Do not consume alcoholic beverages.
- Refrain from heavy lifting and strenuous exercise.
Next 48 hours
- Airline pilots and high altitude workers should consider limiting work activity.
The Blood Center has a confidential phone line for reporting illness or concerns about the safety of your donation. If, FOR ANY REASON, you feel that your blood should NOT be used, please notify us within 48 hours by calling (559) 256-7429. Please use your unit number when calling back.
For more detailed post donation information in English and Spanish please click here.
Thank you for your donation. We look forward to seeing you again in eight weeks.
To find out what type of donation is most needed at this time, call 389-LIFE (5433).